March 01, 2012
Low Moor, VA, March, 2012 - In honor of Certified Nurses Day, March 19, LewisGale Hospital Alleghany recognized the 19 board-certified nurses on its staff. These nurses were commended for their commitment to excellence in patient care by achieving national certification in their chosen specialties.
“These nurses deserve to be honored for their professionalism, leadership, and commitment to the highest standards of nursing care,” said Greg Madsen, CEO, LewisGale Hospital Alleghany. “We encourage all of our nurses to pursue national board certification because it gives them additional expertise to better care for our patients.”
There are many nursing certification specialties such as medical-surgical, pediatric, pain management, cardiac, vascular, oncology, hospice, case management, emergency nursing and critical care.
The following nurses were recognized for their certifications:
- Robin Broughman, Fellow of the College of Healthcare Executives
- Mary Lavery-Fisher, Certified Nurse Specialist in Psychiatry & Certified Nurse Practitioner
- Cheryl Dressler, Certified Emergency Nurse & Certified Healthcare Risk Management
- Amy Clarke, Certified Med-Surgical Nurse
- Alyson Riddle, Certified Med-Surgical Nurse
- Megan Douglas, Certified Med-Surgical Nurse
- Angel Tucker, Certified Med-Surgical Nurse
- Mary Asma, Certified Med-Surgical Nurse
- Carl Withrow, Certified Med-Surgical Nurse
- Jessica Perry, Certified Med-Surgical Nurse & Certified Legal Nurse Consultant
- Linda O'Connor, Progressive Care Certified Nurse
- Carolyn Snyder, Progressive Care Certified Nurse
- Shannon Downey, Certified Nurse O.R.
- Danielle Morgan, Certified Nurse O.R.
- Christina Norvell, Certified Nurse O.R.
- Jessica Scruggs, Certified Emergency Nurse
- Shannon Johnston, Certified Emergency Nurse
- Jenna Downer, Certified Emergency Nurse
- Sally Howard, Certified Diabetic Educator
- Brenda Graham, Certified Diabetic Educator
While a registered nurse (RN) license provides entry to general nursing practice, achieving national certification takes it one step further with a more extensive education to equip nurses to better handle more complex healthcare issues.
Many nursing certification bodies exist to serve the full range of specialized nursing care offered in the contemporary healthcare system; national nurse-certifying bodies should be accredited by either the Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification (ABSNC) or the National Organization for Competence Assurance (NOCA), or both.
Please join LewisGale Hospital Alleghany and the nation's national nursing certification organizations in honoring those hardworking, dedicated nurses for their professionalism, and a job well done!