At LewisGale Regional Health System, we’re committed to advancing cancer research and to providing our patients with the most advanced and innovative cancer treatment options available. That’s why research and clinical trials are an important part of our mission. Through ongoing research and trials, our staff and our patients are helping develop improved procedures and technologies that can benefit cancer patients throughout Southwest Virginia and the country.
Clinical Trials at LewisGale
Clinical trials available at LewisGale are continually changing. We regularly offer trials related to:
- Breast cancer
- Gastrointestinal cancers
- Head and neck cancers
- Lung cancer
- Ovarian cancer
Talk with your physician if you’re interested in participating in a clinical trial.
LewisGale hospitals actively collect and analyze cancer data through their cancer data registries. This data is an invaluable tool in the fight against cancer both locally and nationally. Among the many uses for the data are:
- Measuring quality outcomes
- Tracking community outreach initiatives
- Supporting clinical, diagnostic and treatment research
- Evaluating the effectiveness of current treatments
- Presenting data for individualized patient treatment planning
- Submitting to local and national databases for incidence and outcome comparison
LewisGale also participates annually in the Commission on Cancer National Cancer Data Base (NCDB). Benchmark and survival reports prepared by the NCDB using this data are made public on the American College of Surgeons website.