Cancer Support Services: Help for the Whole Journey
In addition to providing comprehensive medical treatment for our cancer patients, the LewisGale Cancer Centers and hospitals provide an array of support services to help you and your family through the journey -- physically, emotionally and spiritually.
We encourage patients, their families and caregivers to attend a support group, meet with a social worker, receive cancer and nutritional counseling and use other support and recovery resources. These services can help speed recovery, decrease the length of hospital stay and help manage chronic conditions.
LewisGale Cancer Support Services
Our cancer support services include:
- Outpatient cancer education programs
- Cancer counseling for individuals, couples, family members and friends
- Support groups — for men, women, breast cancer patients and others
- Community-based support resources, including home care and free cancer screenings
- Nutritional counseling
- Lymphedema care
- Rehabilitation services and exercise programs
- Strategies for managing emotions, pain and fatigue
- Spiritual guidance through non-denominational chaplaincy
- Assistance with medical insurance and bill payment issues
Cancer Survivorship: Your Next Chapter
Life after cancer -- it’s precious! We’re here to help you make the most of it. We will help you transition back to your everyday life, your work and your family by learning to adapt to changes in your energy level and stamina, nutrition, medications and potential lymphedema (swelling and fluid retention). Our classes, support groups, educational resources and survivor events all help restore your quality of life.
Members of your care team work together to help you develop a plan for your ongoing healthcare. Your life may return to the way it was before your cancer diagnosis and treatment. Or if you’re facing a new normal that encompasses concerns about your physical and emotional health or finances, planning for your future helps you move forward productively.