When you become part of the LewisGale neuroscience family, we get to know you as a personand we follow you for the rest of your life, answering your questions, offering you support and, of course, providing you with care that’s tailored to your unique situation.
Customized & Comprehensive Neuro Care
Neurologic conditions we treat include:
- Acoustic neuroma
- Arteriovenous malformation (AVM) — A tangled mass of directly connected arteries and veins (normally separate vessel systems with different pressures and purposes) that bypasses the capillariesand other neurovascular abnormalities. Our diagnostic tests for AVM include electroencephalogram (EEG), CT scan, PET scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and digital biplane angiography (3DRA) for detailed images of the mass. Because a combination of methods is often most effective in treating AVM, LewisGale offers multiple modes of therapy, including embolization, noninvasive stereotactic radiosurgery with Synergy S and removal of the malformation by open surgery.
- Back pain
- Brain tumors and disorders — Uncontrolled growth of cells can create a mass known as a tumor. At LewisGale, we treat malignant and benign tumors, as well as rare, unusual and skull-base lesions, cerebrovascular (blood vessels of the brain) abnormalities and nerve disorders with options such as surgery (translabyrinthine, suboccipital, middle fossa), Synergy S noninvasive stereotactic radiosurgery, endoscopy and chemotherapy.
- Degenerative discs and herniated discs
- Guillain-Barrè Syndrome
- Head injury and concussion
- Intracranial hemorrhage
- Movement disorders such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, essential tremor and spasticity that may be caused by the loss of dopamine-producing cells in the brain. Our experienced and caring clinical team, including neurologists and rehabilitation therapists, supports you with comprehensive treatment plans customized for your specific condition to maximize independence, mobility and quality of life.
- Myasthenia gravis
- Spine tumors (primary, secondary) and conditions such as vertebral fracture, spine curvature and more. We have the training, equipment, clinical staff and expertise to address almost any spine condition from skull to sacrum, whether it originates from tumor, deformity or trauma. Our neurosurgeons and interventional radiologists use the digital biplane angiography (3DRA) high-resolution imaging system to view problem areas in the spine. And when your care plan includes radiation therapy, our Varian advanced targeted radiation system ensures precise treatment is sent to spine tumors without damaging surrounding nerves and tissues.
- Trigeminal neuralgia (TN or tic douloureaux) — Sharp, shooting, severe pain on one side of the face, named for the three-pronged trigeminal (fifth cranial) nerve. Treatments for various types of face pain differ, so finding the cause and making an accurate diagnosis is the key to effectively dealing with TN. Options through LewisGale Regional Health System include:
- medications with anticonvulsants or tricyclic antidepressants
- glycerol injection through the mouth (performed with local anesthesia) to reach the junction of the trigeminal nerve near the jaw or microvascular decompression (craniotomy)
- an open surgical procedure where a small piece of skull behind the ear is removed to reach the trigeminal nerve when the cause of TN appears to be pressure on the nerve from a blood vessel
Additional TN resources are available through the Trigeminal Neuralgia Treatment Center of Virginia.
Rehabilitation & Recovery
Support for your recovery or return to function following brain, nervous system or spine-related injury, damage, tumor, surgery or stroke is all part of the extensive options for rehabilitation available through LewisGale.