Time = Brain
That’s the critical equation to remember if you feel you or someone you know may be suffering a stroke. And that’s why you want to get your stroke care at the hospitals of LewisGale Regional Health System.
Stroke Alert for Fast Response
When EMS notifies us of a potential stroke patient—or when someone with stroke symptoms arrives directly at our hospital—we call a Stroke Alert. That’s our well-established and highly integrated process for fast response, diagnosis and treatment of stroke.
- Calling a Stroke Alert starts the process of delivering rapid treatment within the critical first three hours of a stroke and improves your chances of a more thorough recovery.
- If you call 911 and you’re identified as a stroke patient by EMS, our continuous treatment begins before you even get to the hospital—which improves the care you receive across our continuum of services.
- Then, we follow you all the way through our ER, into intensive care, rehabilitation and beyond.
You can rely on us for the fast response and effective treatment you need to save your brain and protect your quality of life. Our stroke care program offers a range of medical and surgical interventions, as well as stroke rehabilitation services for inpatients and outpatients who may have experienced:
- Ischemic stroke — Loss of blood flow to the brain, resulting from a clot-blocked artery
- Hemorrhagic stroke — Bleeding into the brain, resulting from a ruptured artery in the brain
- Transient ischemic attack (TIA) — An episode that starts like a stroke but resolves itself without noticeable symptoms
Rehabilitation & Recovery for Stroke Survivors
After your stroke, we partner with you on the road to recovery. Our LewisGale Rehabilitation Services include inpatient and outpatient physical, occupational and speech therapy, all enhanced by the latest technology, such as FES Cycle for functional electrical stimulation, which helps you regain skills and independence.
Stroke Resources & Support
When you’re treated for stroke at one of our LewisGale hospitals in Southwest Virginia, you become part of our family for life. And we arm you with a range of stroke-related resources and recovery information.
- The Stroke Center in our online Health Library
- Sports Medicine through LewisGale facilities and partner sites offer customized, physician-directed treatment programs for rehabilitation and injury prevention for any age, sport or skill level
- American Stroke Association’s Stroke Family Warmline at (888) 478-7653) for free patient support services that help families learn about stroke
- American Stroke Association (ASA), offering the latest version of the ASA Patient and Family Stroke Education Handbook
- National Stroke Association, with a helpful online guide Explaining Stroke