April 01, 2015
There are more than 3,000 people waiting for a live-saving organ transplant in Virginia alone. In support of Donate Life Month, LewisGale Regional Health System is encouraging its employees and the public to consider organ, eye and tissue donation.
Did you know that:
- One donor can save 9 lives through organ donation (heart, split liver, pancreas, 2 kidneys, 2 lungs and small intestine), enhance more than 50 lives through tissue donation and restore sight to two people through eye donation.
- On average, eighteen men, women and children die each day waiting for a life-saving organ transplant in the U.S. On average, three die each week in Virginia.
- There were more than 29,000 transplants in the U.S. last year, and more than 1200 of those were in Virginia.
- To be an organ, eye and tissue donor, the most important thing you can do in Virginia is to document your wish at a DMV office or on-line at DonateLifeVirginia.org.
- Your designation at DonateLifeVirginia.org or on your driver’s license is a legal document and your wish will be honored.
Just follow these easy steps to register your generous decision to become an organ, eye and tissue donor:
- Visit DonateLifeVirginia.org
- Fill out the registration form completely.
- In response to the question:
- How did you learn about Donate Life Virginia?, select Other from the drop-down menu.
- Once you are registered, tell your family and friends how easy it is and encourage their registration.