December 12, 2014
Pulaski, VA, December, 2014 – LewisGale Hospital Pulaski recently held an awards ceremony to honor 45 of its staff members for their hard work, dedication, and years of service. One of the employees, Bessie Tickle, had reached a significant milestone of 50 years of service.
She started working in the hospital in 1964 to help the family budget but soon realized she had a passion for healthcare and the people she worked with every day.
“I love the work and it was a good fit,” said Bessie. “The physicians were exceptional, administration was supportive and I felt part of a team. After my husband died, the hospital became my extended family and I continued to work.”
Bessie has no plans to retire. Over the years she has served in several departments including Health Information Management, Quality Assurance, Physician Credentialing, and most recently in Coding. She still remembers the days of manual typewriters and the starched white dresses and shoes the nurses used to wear.
“We didn’t get the first computer until 1984 and later we had word processors,” she pointed out. “Now we have a computerized system.”
While a lot has changed over the years, Bessie has been a staple at LewisGale Hospital Pulaski. “Bessie’s contributions to the hospital have been tremendous and she has supported our facility through many changes over the years,” said Jana Beckner, Director of Human Resources. “I’ve had the privilege of working directly with Bessie and I am continually amazed by her level of compassion, devotion and enthusiasm to help everyone she meets.”
Other recipients of 2014 Employee Service Awards included:
- 50 years – Bessie Tickle
- 35 years – Ansie Burnette
- 30 years – Norma Anderson and Sandy Countiss
- 25 years – Diana Atkins and Rena McPeak
- 20 years – Rebecca King and Wanda Reed
- 15 years – Melori Caudill, Cheryl Fariss, Crystal Greer, JoAnn Harrell, Amanda Hudgins, Michelle Quesenberry, Shawn Rorrer, Sonya Shelton, Sarah Tuggle, Peyton Wheatley and Karen Wilson
- 10 years – Teresa Arnold, Diane Blankenship, Sandra Duty, Matt Fields, Alana Garwood, Michelle Keefer, Jennifer Lawson, Christine Ludwig, Amy Newberry, Debbie Pike, Emma Porter, Kristi Posillico, Candice Richardson, Andy Schrader, Carrie Stone and Shana Swecker
- 5 years – Jessica Atkins, Ervin Barr, Makayla Gray, Beven McDowell, Stuart Mitchell, Teresa Mundell, Tony O’Brien, Earl Payne, Brenda Puckett and Teresa Stuart
“Bessie’s 50 years of service represent a significant loyalty to our hospital, patients, and community,” said Derek Vance, CEO, LewisGale Hospital Pulaski. “We are so thankful for Bessie and other recipients for their dedication to our hospital. Our employees are the reason we continue to get national recognition for the quality of care we provide.”
About LewisGale Hospital Pulaski
LewisGale Hospital Pulaski is a part of LewisGale Regional Health System which includes 44 HCA-owned patient care facilities including 4 hospitals, 2 regional cancer centers and a multidisciplinary cancer clinic, 6 outpatient centers and affiliations with nearly 700 physicians, including 146 employed providers and more than 500 independent physicians. With 3,300 employees, its annual payroll is $230.1 million. The system also paid $41 million in taxes and provided more than $106 million in uncompensated care to those most in need in 2012 alone. LewisGale is also part of HCA Virginia, the largest and most comprehensive healthcare provider in the Commonwealth with nearly 15,000 employees. For more information see www.lewisgale.com.