Putting up a good front but feeling like your life is in turmoil? Struggling to cope after the birth of a baby? Or the illness or death of a loved one? You’re not alone.
Check for these signs of depression, which also apply to postpartum depression. If you, a loved one or friend have several symptoms, you may need to find professional help. Discuss the situation with your doctor immediately.
In crisis? For immediate evaluation and 24-hour access at approved sites and hospital emergency rooms, call LewisGale’s assessment line—at (800) 541-9992.
Signs of Depression
- Persistent sadness or anxiety
- Decreased energy
- Loss of interest in usual activities — including sex and hobbies
- Sleep disturbances — insomnia or oversleeping
- Appetite and weight changes — loss or gain
- Feelings of hopelessness or pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness or helplessness
- Thoughts of death or suicide attempts
- Difficulty concentrating or making decisions
- Chronic aches or persistent symptoms not caused by physical disease