LewisGale Hospital Pulaski first opened its doors in 1915 as Pulaski Community Hospital, managed under the charter of The Pulaski Hospital Association, with seven beds in a building originally used by General Chemical Company.

Pulaski Hospital, Inc., was founded in 1926 by Dr. D.S. Divers, Dr. R.F. Thornhill, Dr. R.H. Woolling and Dr. H.R. Farley to enable the construction of a new hospital building on Randolph Avenue, replacing the little seven-bed cottage hospital with a physician-owned, 15-bed facility.

In September of 1948, Pulaski Hospital opened its School of Nursing offering a three-year diploma program approved by the Virginia State Board of Nursing Examiners. The school stayed in operation until the late 1950s.

A nursing unit (west wing), physician offices, morgue and storage areas were added to the hospital around 1960. In 1965, the name was changed to Pulaski General Hospital.

After significant growth and deliberation on issues of renovation versus construction, a new $3 million hospital was built near Route 11 inside the northern city limits on 23 acres of land acquired from Mrs. Helen D. Wyatt, a Pulaski resident. At a gauze-cutting ceremony on July 29, 1973, Pulaski Community Hospital officially opened.

Renamed LewisGale Hospital Pulaski in 2010, the facility employed approximately 250 clinicians and staff. With integration into the LewisGale Regional Health System, our hospital now includes more than 400 employees, new medical equipment and technological advances and expanded patient care services as we maintain our commitment to delivering the best care for our patients.