At LewisGale, we want you to feel comfortable and prepared for your outpatient visit, hospital stay or surgery.
Before Your Stay
Take time before your upcoming procedure or hospital stay to review your insurance coverage and make sure you’re prepared to pay your copay or deductible. If you're unsure of your specific coverage, call your insurance company in advance.
You also can preregister for your stay to save time at check-in.
What to Bring
Items You Need for Admission
- All active insurance cards
- A list of all medications you currently take
- Photo identification (such as a driver’s license)
- Living will and other advance directives (if you have them)
- HMO/PPO referral forms (if required)
- Medical records, X-ray films or prior test results (if your physician has requested them)
- Written letter of authorization from your insurance carrier (if you’re covered by worker’s compensation)
- A check or credit card for deductibles, copayments or deposits
Items You Need for Your Stay
- Personal toiletries, such as shampoo, toothpaste and toothbrush
- Bathrobe and slippers or socks
- A list with names, doses and schedules of all medications you take on a routine basis (do not bring any of these medications with you to the hospital unless your doctor writes an order for you to do so)
- Glasses, dentures, hearing aids or any other assistive device you may need
- Clothes to wear when you go home
We also recommend that you leave your valuable items at home.
Requests for transfer of medical records must be made in writing.
Preparing for Your Procedure
Your doctor's office will provide you with specific information about preparing for an upcoming procedure or hospital stay, but we've also provided some basic suggestions to prepare for your visit.
- Verify that your procedure is covered by your insurance carrier.
- If you have questions, contact your primary physician or call our 24/7 information helpline at 877.2HCA.DOCS (242.2362).