Recognized Back and Spine Care Expertise in Southwest Virginia
The nationally recognized spine team at LewisGale Regional Health System offers Southwest Virginia’s most trusted care for back and neck pain. We provide innovative nonsurgical and surgical therapies with the goal of reducing pain and improving your mobility with the least amount of downtime.
When surgery is necessary, our expert team — including orthopedic surgeons, spine surgeons, and neurosurgeons — use advanced, minimally invasive techniques and robotic-assisted procedures whenever possible. In fact, Healthgrades, a leader in making information about physicians and hospitals more accessible and transparent, named LewisGale Medical Center in Roanoke Valley/Salem one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals™ for spine surgery.
We offer spine care at the following locations:
Back and Neck Conditions We Treat
Back or neck pain is caused by damage from injury, disease, or wear and tear to the spinal bones (called vertebrae), muscles, nerves, discs (cushion between the vertebrae), or tendons. Pain can happen in the cervical (neck), thoracic (middle), or lumbar (lower) areas of the spine.
The orthopedic and spine teams at LewisGale Regional Health System use a multispecialty approach to diagnose and care for your condition. We treat a wide range of back and spine conditions, including:
- Bone spurs: bone overgrowths
- Degenerative disc disease: breakdown of the discs
- Herniated discs: ruptured or bulged discs
- Osteoarthritis: cartilage in the joints wears down
- Sciatica: nerve irritation
- Scoliosis and kyphosis: spinal curvature
- Spinal stenosis and myelopathy: narrowing of the spinal canal
- Spinal tumors and cancer: growths in or around the spinal column or cord
- Spine fractures: caused by trauma, injury, or arthritis
- Spine infections: osteomyelitis
- Spondylolisthesis: one vertebra slips over another
- Sports injuries: caused by repetitive movements or trauma
Nonsurgical and Minimally Invasive Back and Neck Treatment
We evaluate your overall health and lifestyle to recommend the safest, simplest, and most appropriate treatments. LewisGale Regional Health System offers nonsurgical and minimally invasive therapies, such as:
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation: Strengthen and stabilize the core using medically-supervised fitness plans developed by board-certified physical therapy doctors called physiatrists.
- Spinal injections: Involve image-guided technology to deliver medications to relieve pain and reduce inflammation. These include epidural steroid injections, nerve blocks, facet joint injections, sacroiliac joint injections, and trigger point injections.
- Nerve stimulation techniques: Deliver low-voltage electrical current to relieve pain, as in transcutaneous nerve stimulation (TENS) therapy, and implanted spinal cord stimulators (SCS) and intrathecal pain therapy (ITC) devices.
- Interventional spine procedures: For example, radiofrequency ablation uses heat to destroy tissue and cryoanalgesia temporarily freezes the area, such as tumors or the sensory nerves that cause pain. We also perform kyphoplasty for spinal fractures.
Advanced Spine Surgery at LewisGale Regional Health System
The renowned spine surgeons at LewisGale Regional Health System perform a variety of spine surgeries at our medical center in Roanoke Valley/Salem.
In many cases, we can use minimally invasive spine surgery techniques to stabilize joints, decompress pinched nerves, fuse bones, and correct deformities — all through a few, small incisions. This means less trauma to muscles and tissue, resulting in shorter operations, less pain after surgery, and faster recovery. Many patients go home within a day or two.
We offer a variety of spine surgeries, including:
- Discectomy/microdiscectomy: Removes all or part of the disc, or the cushion between the vertebrae.
- Laminectomy or laminotomy: Removes part of the back bone which covers the spinal canal to relieve pressure on the spinal nerves. Often performed with spinal fusion surgery.
- Foraminotomy: Removes bone or tissue to open the space where the nerves leave the spinal canal, sometimes also performed with spinal fusion surgery.
- Disc replacement surgery: where a damaged disc is replaced with an artificial one.
- Kyphoplasty: Treats spinal fractures, eases pain, and restores height. Kyphoplasty uses a balloon to create a space, which is filled with medical cement.
- Spinal fusion: Increases spine stability by joining two vertebrae using bone grafts and sometimes implants such as rods and screws. We offer DLIF, or direct lateral interbody fusion, a minimally invasive technique to access the spine through the side (lateral).
The Best Spine and Back Care in Southwest Virginia
LewisGale Regional Health System offers the highest quality adult and pediatric orthopedic and spine care. Patients choose us for:
- Recognition for surgical excellence and quality. LewisGale Medical Center is named one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals™ for spine surgery (Healthgrades, 2018) and Blue Cross/Blue Shield recognizes LewisGale for spine surgery expertise. Our orthopedic surgery team also has the lowest infection rates in Virginia, as well as length-of-stay and hospital readmission rates below national averages.
- Multispecialty care from a team dedicated to you. Our team includes board-certified and fellowship trained experts in spinal surgery, orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, physiatry, anesthesiology, pain management, and interventional radiology, as well as therapists and other professionals who work together to provide whole-patient care.
- Care throughout the journey. We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Advanced diagnostic imaging tools. Including bone densitometry, the Signa HDx 3T system for high-definition imaging of large areas, an open MRI, and a large-opening CT scanner with tumor localization providing more precise diagnosis and treatment.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery. In addition to advanced diagnostics, our hospital also offers pain management services and both inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation from licensed therapists who understand spine conditions. This means you can get everything you need in one place, from one team.
- Care in a full-service hospital. If you need surgery, it’s at a hospital with all the services and amenities you need for a comfortable recovery.