Birth Center Tours and Prenatal Classes at LewisGale Hospital Montgomery
You’re pregnant and probably have many questions: What are the early signs of labor? How often should I feed my newborn? Do babies sleep on their stomachs or backs? And whether this is your first baby or your fourth, it’s normal to feel overwhelmed by conflicting advice from well-meaning family members, neighbors, and friends.
Relax - you got this. The maternity experts at LewisGale Hospital Montgomery in Virginia’s New River Valley help you learn to trust your instincts and feel confident in becoming a parent. Our prenatal classes and birth center tours offer up-to-date information and advice about pregnancy, childbirth, and parenthood.
Take a Guided Tour of our Birth Center
Familiarize yourself with our birth center before you go into labor. During our one-hour guided tour, you’ll learn where to check-in on the big day, see the birthing center up close, and have an opportunity to ask questions about your hospital stay.
Group tours are given at the end of many of our prenatal classes. However, you may also take a standalone tour by registering online.
Enroll in a Class (or Three)
Our classes and support groups cover a wide range of topics suitable to first-time parents and those in need of a refresher. They take place here at LewisGale Hospital Montgomery, and at the campus in Salem – register for the location that’s most convenient for you. We have many weekend and evening options, as well as an online childbirth course. We offer:
- Prepared Childbirth Six-Week Class. Our comprehensive class answers your most pressing questions about labor and delivery. Topics include the signs and stages of labor, when to call the doctor or go to the hospital, comfort measures, pain control options, postpartum recovery, and newborn care. This class takes place over six, two-hour sessions (12 hours total).
- Prepared Childbirth Weekend Class. This class covers the same topics as our Prepared Childbirth Six-Week Class, but takes place over a single weekend (8.5 hours spanning Saturday and Sunday).
- Understanding Birth eClass. This online class is ideal for parents who are unable to attend our on-site childbirth class. It’s an interactive course that uses videos, personal birth stories, animations, activities, and games to teach everything you need to know about pregnancy and birth. Topics include the stages of pregnancy, preparing for labor, comfort techniques, pain management, and more.
- Labor Support Workshop. This 2.5-hour class covers hands-on, natural strategies for managing labor and relieving pain, including relaxation, breathing, and positioning. It is intended for parents who have already completed our Prepared Childbirth Class or Understanding Birth eClass, or who have given birth previously and just need a refresher.
- Breastfeeding Class. Taught by a certified lactation consultant, this two-hour class provides in-depth information about breastfeeding. Topics include milk production, latching, breastfeeding obstacles and rewards, pumping, storage, and more.
- Breastfeeding – Getting Off to a Good Start. This 2.5-hour class covers what to expect in the hospital, positioning, latching, recognizing and solving common breastfeeding challenges, how to tell if baby is getting enough milk, and pumping and storage.
- Infant CPR. Our one-hour course provides lifesaving information and hands-on training for treating infants who are choking or have stopped breathing.
- Sibling Class. This one-hour class helps prepare children ages two through eight to become a big brother or sister. We’ll help your child get ready for the new baby’s arrival, including a discussion about newborn behaviors and family changes.
Ready to take one of these classes or participate in a support group? Register online.
Additional Support Groups Available for Moms
LewisGale Hospital Montgomery offers additional, free support groups that meet regularly in the birthing center classroom. Registration is not required but if you have questions about an upcoming meeting, please call (540) 953-5409.
Meets the first and third Wednesday of each month at 10:30 a.m.
This group provides parents with fun, engaging opportunities to interact with other new moms and dads and learn from professionals. Topics vary each session. Babies up to one year old are welcome to attend.
Meets the second Wednesday of each month at 10:30 a.m.
This group focuses on the rewards and challenges of raising a toddler, with topics including feeding your picky eater, gentle discipline, and the benefits of play. Children are welcome to attend.