Southwest Virginia’s Knee and Hip Replacement Experts
The orthopedic teams at LewisGale Regional Health System are recognized experts in joint replacement. We earned The Gold Seal of Approval® by The Joint Commission for care at LewisGale Medical Center in Salem (hip and knee replacement), LewisGale Hospital Montgomery (hip and knee replacement), and LewisGale Hospital Pulaski (knee replacement) in New River Valley.
The hallmark of quality, this designation proves our commitment to exceeding stringent national standards in patient care and safety. We’re here for you throughout your joint replacement journey — from diagnosis to recovery, and beyond — providing education and support every step of the way.
We offer knee and hip replacement at the following locations:
Knee Replacement — Improving Your Lifestyle
Knee replacement surgery, also called knee arthroplasty, relieves pain and restores joint function. It involves resurfacing or capping the ends of the bones damaged by arthritis or injury with a prosthetic (or artificial) implant made from metal and plastic.
We use the latest minimally invasive techniques with customized implant solutions for a better fit, faster recovery, and enhanced function.
Candidates for Knee Replacement Surgery
You may be a candidate for knee replacement surgery if you:
- Experience knee pain with activity
- Feel pain even while resting
- Wake up during the night due to knee pain
- Have difficulty sitting, climbing stairs, or bending down
- Tried other treatments, such as diet, exercise, and medications, without success
Types of Knee Replacement Surgery We Offer
Within our health system, we offer the following options:
- Total knee replacement: Involves resurfacing damaged portions of all three bones (thigh, shin, and kneecap) that form the knee joint with metal and plastic implants. Implants vary depending on your weight, size, and activity level.
- Partial knee replacement: When damage is limited to a portion of the knee (inside, outside, or front), we may be able to spare healthy tissue and bone in a less invasive procedure. Partial knee replacement is also referred to as knee resurfacing.
The knee is a specialized hinge joint between the femur (thigh bone) and tibia (shin bone). The patella (knee cap) plays a key role in the pulley mechanism that extends (straightens) the knee joint.
Hip Replacement — Reducing Pain
Hip replacement surgery, or hip arthroplasty, relieves hip pain caused by injury from fractures, conditions like avascular necrosis, or severe arthritis. The result is better stability, mobility, and function, and less pain. .
Candidates for Hip Replacement Surgery
Schedule an appointment with one of our joint experts if you:
- Experience hip pain or stiffness after sitting for a long time, or getting out of bed
- Have pain, swelling, or tenderness in the hip joint
- Hear or feel “crunching” in the hip joint
- Have tried other treatments such as medicines and physical therapy, without success
Types of Hip Replacement Surgery We Offer
LewisGale Regional Health System specializes in total hip replacement. Surgeons replace the ball of the thigh bone and socket of the pelvis bone with prosthetic (or artificial) pieces made from metal, ceramic, and/or plastic. The procedure involves removing the damaged cartilage and bone and implanting the prosthetic joint.
We offer traditional and direct anterior hip replacement techniques. The direct anterior (front) hip replacement is minimally invasive and requires smaller incisions with less trauma to tendons and muscles. This means faster recovery and less pain than traditional approaches.
The hip joint is a ball-and-socket joint between the femur and the acetabulum of the pelvis, or hip bone. The acetabulum forms a deep socket and accommodates the rounded head of the femur.
Quality Total Knee and Hip Replacement Care in Southwest Virginia
The knee replacement and hip replacement programs at LewisGale Regional Health System are team-based, which means we pull together experts from across the health system depending on your needs and treatment plan. Patients choose us for:
- Programs certified by The Joint Commission. Our total hip and total knee replacement programs are recognized for high quality care and superior outcomes by the nation’s leading authority on quality and continuous improvement in healthcare.
- Excellent hip and knee replacement outcomes. LewisGale is designated an Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield Center of Distinction for knee and hip replacement for superior outcomes and cost-effectiveness.
- Recognized surgical care. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services also rank our hospitals in the top 10 percent of hospitals nationwide for improvements in surgical care (LewisGale Hospital Alleghany, LewisGale Hospital Montgomery, and LewisGale Hospital Pulaski).
- Comprehensive preoperative education. To help ease anxiety before surgery, we offer a Joint Replacement Class including an inside look at our facility and what to expect before, during, and after joint replacement surgery.
- Care throughout the journey. We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery. We offer inpatient and outpatient physical therapy, rehabilitation services, and pain management programs all in one system..
- Fellowship trained, board-certified orthopedic specialists. Your care comes from board-certified doctors and orthopedic surgeons. Most of our doctors are also fellowship trained in their field.