Breast cancer affects 1 in 8 women in their lifetime.
Regardless of family history, the two most common risk factors for breast cancer are: 1. Being a woman and 2. Getting older.
A mammogram uses low-dose X-rays to make a picture of breast tissue to screen for breast cancer, identify changes in the breast tissue before a lump can be felt and find a lump’s location before a biopsy or surgery. LewisGale was the first health system in the region to offer digital mammography and Genius™ 3D Mammography™ – for the highest degree of clarity and accuracy.
Make An Appointment
LewisGale Breast Imaging Locations
LewsiGale Medical Center-LewisGale Breast Center Salem
1802 Braeburn Dr
Salem, VA 24153
Phone: (540) 776-4983
Digital & 3D Mammography
LewisGale Imaging Center Brambleton
4330 Brambleton Ave
Roanoke, VA 24018
Phone: (540) 283-3700
LewisGale Imaging Center Daleville
65 Shenandoah Ave
Daleville, VA 24083
Phone: (540) 966-6620
LewisGale Imaging Center Montgomery
813 Davis St
Blacksburg, VA 24060
Phone: (540) 953-5131
Digital & 3D Mammography
LewisGale Women's Center Alleghany
1 ARH Ln
Low Moor, VA 24457
Phone: (540) 862-6879
LewisGale Hospital Pulaski
2400 Lee Hwy
Pulaski, VA 24301
Phone: (540) 994-8509
How You Benefit
Screenings performed with digital mammograms offer patients several advantages over traditional mammograms, including:
- Quicker exams (as little as half the time of film images) with real-time images that can be displayed in seconds
- Lower radiation doses
- Better image quality especially near the skin line and chest wall; also in women with dense breast tissue and those who have not yet begun or are entering menopause
- The ability for physicians to manipulate images for better views reducing the need to call you back for additional images
- If a second opinion is needed, the physician can share images instantaneously with a consulting physician to ensure the most accurate diagnosis
Genius 3D Mammography is available at LewisGale Breast Center Salem and LewisGale Imaging Center Montgomery in Blacksburg. All other LewisGale Breast Imaging Centers offer advanced digital mammography.
Genius™ 3D Mammography™
A new landmark study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association shows that 3D mammography finds significantly more invasive cancers and reduces unnecessary recalls.
It's pretty Genius™:
- Allows doctors to examine your breast tissue one layer at a time instead of a single flat image of the breast
- Detects 41 percent more invasive cancers, which are the ones that have spread outside the milk duct into surrounding, healthy tissues.
- Decreases the chance of recalls for follow-up studies by up to 40 percent
- Radiation exposure comparable to a traditional mammogram, which is below FDA guidelines
- Particularly beneficial for women with dense breasts where cancers can be more difficult to detect
Patients can often schedule same– or next–day appointments and have their results read within 24 hours by onsite board–certified radiologists who specialize in breast imaging.
We offer breast imaging and biopsy when a mammogram detects abnormal tissue and your doctor recommends further analysis.
Your Mammogram: What to Expect
The morning of your mammogram, we ask that you use no deodorant, lotion or powders. You will be asked to undress from the waist up, so we suggest wearing pants or a skirt rather than a dress. Otherwise, there is no special preparation for a routine mammography, which usually takes less than 30 minutes.
Your mammogram is reviewed the same day by a physician specially trained in breast imaging. Typically, about 10 percent of women who have a screening mammogram are asked to return for additional views or testing. If additional views are needed, our staff will call you to arrange a convenient time for you to return. During your return visit, a physician will review your results with you and discuss any further recommendations.
Find a Breast Lump or Recently Diagnosed with Breast Cancer?
If you suspect you have a breast lump or if you’ve been recently diagnosed with breast cancer, our Breast Center staff are here to help you and your family. LewisGale has a certified breast nurse navigator and a nurse coordinator to assist with breast care. Get more information about mammography, including what to expect and when to call your doctor, at our online Health Library.
National Awards & Recognition in Breast Care
We take pride that our Breast Imaging Center at LewisGale Medical Center has been recognized by the American College of Radiology (ACR) as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence. LewisGale Hospital Montgomery has also been certified by the National Consortium of Breast Centers. These prestigious distinctions demonstrate that our breast care teams are meeting rigorous national standards for excellence in mammography, stereotactic breast biopsy and breast ultrasound.
All LewisGale Breast Centers are accredited through the American College of Radiology and by the FDA Mammography Quality Standards Act. For the individuals we care for, it shows our deep commitment to outstanding breast care in Southwest Virginia.