Comprehensive Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Care in Southwest Virginia
When you have an injury or illness that needs rehabilitation, trust the professionals at LewisGale Regional Health System. We provide individualized inpatient and outpatient services to maximize independence, mobility, and quality of life.
Our team is led by a physiatrist (doctor who specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation) who develops your plan. Your care comes from highly skilled and licensed physical, occupational, speech therapists, and other professionals with special training in a variety of condition-specific therapies. We tailor our programs to your needs using advanced technologies and the backing of a full-service, elite medical center.
LewisGale Regional Health System offers state-of-the-art services and one of the largest inpatient rehabilitation centers in Southwest Virginia. We also provide a variety of outpatient rehabilitation programs to help relieve pain, restore function, and get you back to your full potential.
We offer a variety of rehabilitation services at these locations:
Advanced Care with a Personalized Treatment Plan
LewisGale Regional Health System offers physical therapy (PT) to protect, strengthen, or restore muscle and motor function. Treatments are personalized to your needs and can include:
- Exercise instruction
- Gait training
- Manual therapy techniques
- Medical device instruction
- Pain management therapy
- Patient education
We also offer occupational therapy (OT), which focuses on improving daily activities such as bathing, dressing, eating, and home management. Our certified therapists develop plans to help you:
- Conserve energy
- Improve gross and fine motor skills
- Regain physical independence
- Strengthen upper extremities
- Learn to use assistive devices effectively
Comprehensive Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Services
Our physical therapy and rehabilitation treatments and services are comprehensive and vary across our locations. We treat a wide range of conditions and offer services that include:
- Balance and vestibular (inner ear) therapy: Balance retraining to help you gain control over symptoms such as dizziness, muscle coordination issues, and more.
- Cardiac rehabilitation: Comprehensive education, risk reduction, and exercises to help you live better with coronary artery disease, heart failure, and other chronic diseases.
- Ergonomics/industrial education and training: To help you understand your condition, control pain, and prevent re-injury by reducing stressors of repetitive activities or tasks at work or home.
- Lymphedema therapy: Certified programs and medical-assistive devices to help restore function, reduce pain, and reduce risk of infection.
- Neurologic and low vision therapy: The only therapy-based program in Southwest Virginia, we offer accredited care for macular degeneration, diabetes, glaucoma, stroke, and other neurological conditions that impact vision
- Orthopedic and spine programs: Certified hand therapy, spinal cord injury programs, amputation therapies, total joint replacement rehabilitation, and others to ease pain and improve strength and mobility before and after surgery.
- Orthotics, assistive technology, and adaptive equipment: To help relieve pain or regain independence, including custom splints, braces, and fitting for wheel chairs.
- Pain management: Includes injections, manual therapy, biofeedback, electrical stimulation, spine stabilization, ultrasound technology, and heat therapy for pain from injury or disease.
- Pelvic rehabilitation: Improve bladder control in men and women with personalized treatments, such as electrical stimulation, exercise, and education.
- Prevention programs: Fall assessments and therapies to improve strength and prevent injuries, especially if you have conditions that put you at risk, like osteoporosis.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation: Education and therapy for living better with lung and respiratory conditions such as asthma, emphysema, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Speech and language therapy: To retrain voice, speech, and swallowing concerns after injury, surgery, or neuromuscular conditions with licensed speech pathologists.
- Sports injuries and prevention: To reduce pain or recover from surgery for knee, shoulder, ankle, and other joint and muscle pains, using gait training, conditioning for athletes, strength training, electrical stimulation, and more.
The Best Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation in Southwest Virginia
Physical therapy and rehabilitation at LewisGale Regional Health System involves education, training, and support every step of the way. Patients continuously give us high ratings in satisfaction for our:
- Advanced care with a personal touch. Because our program is hospital-based, you benefit from a therapy or exercise program tailored to your specific health needs.
- Individualized treatment plans. We offer dynamic, customized, and one-on-one evaluation, training, rehabilitation/physical therapy and performance enhancement programs.
- Certified therapists working for you. Our therapists are highly skilled and certified in a variety of rehabilitation specialties, including hand therapy, lymphedema therapy, speech and language pathology, and more.
- Innovative equipment and technology. We provide VitalStim®, Bioness® and FES (functional electrical stimulation) cycle Personalized 45-minute one-on-one therapy sessions at convenient locations.
- Facilities dedicated to rehabilitation care. LewisGale Medical Center in Salem offers Southwest Virginia’s only real-world rehab environment to transition back to daily living, called Easy Street. It features a comfortable setting that simulates routine tasks and environments, such as a grocery store, bank, streets and sidewalks, and even an automobile.
- Convenient locations. With four hospitals located in the Roanoke Valley/Salem, Alleghany Highlands, Rockbridge County, and the New River Valleys, our rehabilitation programs are easy to access.
Restore your independence and quality of life at LewisGale. Our expertly trained rehabilitation therapists provide specialized care for neurological conditions that affect vision.
Neck and back pain can cause time away from work or limit your active lifestyle. Learn more about minimally invasive spine surgeries.
Don’t let a sports injury keep you from an active lifestyle. We offer advanced services and therapies for injuries and concussions.