Exceptional Pregnancy and Childbirth Care in Roanoke Valley
At LewisGale Medical Center, we know family is everything. When you’re ready to begin or expand your own family in Southwest Virginia, you can depend on us to provide safe, supportive maternity services. Whether you’re looking for high-risk pregnancy care or low-intervention birth options, you’ll find staff and services to suit your needs and preferences.
Our OB/GYN team in the Roanoke Valley provides the prenatal care you and your baby need to stay healthy during pregnancy. And on the big day, we’ll help you create an unforgettable experience with customized labor and delivery services and peaceful, private birthing suites.
Our pregnancy and birth services include:
- High-risk pregnancy care
Why Choose LewisGale Medical Center for Your Baby’s Birth
When you deliver your baby at LewisGale Medical Center, you receive expert care in a warm, welcoming environment. Families also choose us because:
- We’ve cared for generations of Roanoke Valley families. LewisGale physicians have practiced in this community since 1909. Today, LewisGale Medical Center delivers nearly 1,000 babies a year. Our experienced caregivers — including obstetricians, gynecologists, anesthesiologists — work together to ensure your delivery goes smoothly.
- Your preferences matter. You know your body better than anyone and we trust your instincts. Our goal is for your comfortable, joyful labor and delivery. We also welcome and support private doula care.
- You and your baby are safe here. We offer enhanced security features, including footprint technology, the first in Roanoke Valley.
We’re committed to your total health and wellness. Moms also need to care for themselves. We offer women’s care for every stage of life. Our services range from gynecologic services and bone density testing, to comprehensive breast care including 3D digital mammography.
The First Nine Months – Prenatal Care for You and Your Baby
Our prenatal services are designed to keep you healthy and confident in providing your baby the best start in life. We offer:
- Birth center tours. We offer guided tours of our maternity unit so you know what to expect and can ask questions ahead of time.
- Personalized birth planning. Choose from an array of care tailored to your needs. We offer low-intervention birth options such as natural pain management, hydrotherapy, wireless fetal monitoring, delayed umbilical cord clamping, and immediate skin-to-skin contact for you and your infant.
- High-risk pregnancy care. If you’re carrying multiples, have a medical condition, or have had previous problems during pregnancy or delivery, we offer maternal-fetal medicine care to ensure the best possible outcome.
- Convenient walk-in care and valet parking. With dedicated obstetrics care available in our emergency department and valet parking during the day, we make life as easy as possible for you.
During Birth – Customized Labor and Delivery Care
Your baby will be born in a soothing, state-of-the-art suite that supports intimacy and bonding. We offer:
- A calming, comfortable experience. Our spa-like birthing rooms allow you to labor your way, with the help of your caregiver or support person. We offer a soft environment, low lighting, peanut balls, and private shower and tub. And when possible, new moms don’t need to change rooms after their baby is born — you’ll likely recover and get to know your baby in the same space you gave birth.
- Unmatched attention. We’re among a handful of hospitals with a one-to-one, patient-to-nurse ratio during labor and delivery. This means you have constant, capable support during childbirth.
- Welcoming, family-friendly setting. Labor and delivery can take time. We offer comfortable accommodations for you and your partner and overnight sleeping arrangements. And we provide your support person complimentary room service meals during labor, so you’re never alone.
- Medical team ready for anything. Our team is here for whatever you need, 24/7. We have the latest obstetric technology and resources, including an anesthesiologist and dedicated operating rooms nearby for planned, unplanned, or emergency C-sections.
After Your Baby is Born – Postpartum Care with Abundant Ongoing Support
You and your baby will be well-cared for until you’re ready to leave the hospital, and for weeks after you return home. Our postpartum services include:
- Family-centered care. We practice couplet care so you and your partner can spend time with your baby in a private setting. This means your baby stays with you in the room at all times, even during most examinations. Our staffing model assures our nurses are available to spend extra time with you whenever needed.
- 24/7 breastfeeding support. Breastfeeding is a learned skill for both mom and baby. Our on-site, International Board-Certified Lactation Consultants help you breastfeed immediately after birth and throughout your hospital stay.
- A celebratory meal. We help make your experience memorable by providing you and your partner a special meal after your baby’s birth.
- Postpartum depression screening. We screen all new moms for postpartum depression before leaving the hospital and will coordinate any medical care or counseling you may need.
- Baby photography. LewisGale Regional Health System partners with Mom365 for newborn portraits and an online gallery for family and friends. About the Mom365 photo experience.
Having a baby is one of the most important decisions you’ll make. So is choosing where to have your baby. Use our guide to compare your options and find your ideal birth center.