Family-Centered Pregnancy and Childbirth Care in New River Valley
To give your baby the best start in life, you need more than a healthy pregnancy and birth. You also need an experienced OB/GYN team and a hospital known for its quality and safety.
LewisGale Hospital Montgomery in Virginia’s New River Valley offers comprehensive maternity care in Southwest Virginia, whether your pregnancy is routine or high-risk. You have access to customized care that includes natural, low-intervention birth options and expert perinatology care. And our one-to-one patient-to-nurse ratio means you receive unmatched support and attention during labor and delivery.
Our pregnancy and birth services include:
- Prenatal classes and education
- High-risk pregnancy care
- Neonatal intensive care
Why Choose LewisGale Hospital Montgomery for Your Baby’s Birth
Our birthing center team will make sure your experience is as joyful as it is safe. Families also trust us because:
- Our team is experienced. Our knowledgeable caregivers — including obstetricians, gynecologists, anesthesiologists, perinatologists, neonatologists, and nurse practitioners — work together to ensure your delivery goes smoothly.
- We’re recognized for our care. LewisGale Hospital Montgomery has been named a Blue Distinction Center for Maternity Care by the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. This means we’ve met strict criteria for providing cost-efficient, high-quality maternity care.
- Your preferences matter. You know your body better than anyone and we trust your instincts. You choose how to experience labor and delivery. We also welcome and support private doula care.
- You and your baby are safe here. Because unexpected complications can occur during labor and delivery, it’s important to choose a birthing center that can handle emergencies at a moment’s notice. We offer a Level II NICU for premature or sick newborns, and enhanced security measures.
- We provide “Baby-Friendly” breastfeeding support. We’re the only hospital in Southwest Virginia to achieve accreditation by the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative. This prestigious designation confirms our hospital’s policies and practices meet the global gold standard for promoting successful breastfeeding.
- We’re committed to your total health and wellness. Moms also need to care for themselves. We offer women’s care for every stage of life, including gynecologic services and digital mammography.
Ensuring a Healthy Start – Prenatal Care for You and Your Baby
We help you stay healthy, plan for birth, and care for yourself and your newborn with confidence. We offer:
- Birth center tours and classes. We offer guided tours of our maternity unit, so you know what to expect and can ask questions ahead of time. We also have a wide range of classes covering labor and delivery, breastfeeding, and caring for baby.
- Personalized birth planning. Choose from an array of care tailored to your needs. We offer low-intervention birth options such as natural pain management, hydrotherapy, wireless fetal monitoring, delayed umbilical cord clamping, and immediate skin-to-skin contact for you and your infant.
- High-risk pregnancy care. If you’re carrying multiples, have a medical condition, or have had previous problems during pregnancy or delivery, your OB/GYN will partner with one of our perinatologists to ensure the best possible outcome for you and your baby.
An Unforgettable Birth – Personalized Labor and Delivery Care
Our birthing center was designed to enhance your comfort and minimize disruptions. We offer:
- A spacious, soothing environment. Our large birthing suites with private bathrooms allow you to labor your way, with the help of your caregiver or support person. And you won’t need to change rooms after your baby is born — you’ll recover and bond with your baby in the same space you gave birth.
- Welcoming, family-friendly setting. Labor and delivery can take time. We offer comfortable accommodations for you and your partner and overnight sleeping arrangements. And we provide your support person complimentary meals during labor so you’re never alone.
- Medical team ready for anything. Our team is here for whatever you need, 24/7. We have the latest obstetric technology and resources, including an anesthesiologist and dedicated operating rooms nearby for unplanned or emergency C-sections.
The Transition Home – Postpartum Care with Ongoing Support
After your baby is born, you receive our full support and attention — in the hospital and at home. Our services include:
- Family-centered care. We practice couplet care (also known as rooming in), so you and your partner can get to know your baby in a private setting. This means your baby stays with you in the room at all times, even during most examinations. Our staffing model assures our nurses are available to spend extra time with you whenever needed.
- 24/7 breastfeeding support. Breastfeeding is a learned skill for both mom and baby. Our on-site, International Board-Certified Lactation Consultants help you breastfeed immediately after birth and throughout your hospital stay. After discharge, you can call (540) 953-5409 to schedule an in-home or phone consultation or find other resources.
- Ongoing peer support. It’s natural to feel overwhelmed with the challenges of motherhood, but you don’t have to do it alone. Learn more about our monthly support groups by calling (540) 953-5348 .
- Baby photography. LewisGale Regional Health System partners with Mom365 for newborn portraits and an online gallery for family and friends. About the Mom365 photo experience.
Baby on the way? Chances are you have a million questions about feeding, sleep schedules, and babyproofing. Our classes help you feel confident and well-prepared.
Having a baby is one of the most important decisions you’ll make. So is choosing where to have your baby. Use our guide to compare your options and find your ideal birth center.
If your baby needs extra care and attention, we offer Level II neonatal intensive care. Learn how we help premature or ill newborns in Virginia’s New River Valley.