Caregivers, friends or family of someone age 55 or over with emotional or behavioral issues who may endanger themselves or others can request a referral to the Senior Transitions program at LewisGale to receive immediate short-term stabilization in a calming, non-distracting inpatient setting.
Located at Low Moor in the beautiful Alleghany Highlands region of Southwest Virginia, the Senior Transitions program at LewisGale Hospital Alleghany offers a stand-alone geriatric psychiatry unit to support seniors’ mental health.
Call our Consult-A-Nurse® team 24/7 at (877) 242-2362 to find specialists, make an appointment and learn more about mental health services at LewisGale Regional Health System.
When You Need Help NOW — Call Capital Division Behavioral Health Access and Response Center (877) 886-7026.
Conditions We Treat
- Depression with feelings of hopelessness or suicide, inability to care for oneself
- Anxiety causing constant fear, paralyzing worries or panic attacks
- Severe disorientation or memory impairment
- Inability to maintain adequate nutrition, which may threaten life or vital body functions
- Threatening thoughts or assaultive behaviors toward others
- Unusual or bizarre behavior with illogical thoughts or beliefs
- Emotional issues occurring with substance abuse or medical issues
- Inability to maintain psychiatric stabilization through outpatient treatment
- Any appropriate diagnosis in the 55-and-over population
Elements of Treatment
Our team for senior mental health care includes professionals ranging from doctors, nurses and mental health technicians to social workers, recreational therapists and dietitians. In addition to the beautiful natural environment of our mountain setting which provides relaxing views from each patient room, components of treatment include:
- Crisis intervention
- Psychiatric triage, evaluation and differential diagnosis
- Medication stabilization
- Group therapy
- Family therapy and education
- Educational groups
- Activity therapy
- Individual psychotherapy
- Coping skills training
- Discharge planning
- Outpatient follow-up
Because family members and loved ones are an important support for each individual’s recovery, we encourage family involvement throughout the care process. With patient consent, family members are welcome to stop in during regular visiting hours, attend family sessions and provide input into treatment and discharge planning.
How to Access Senior Transitions
Ask your physician for a referral or for more information, contact us directly at (540) 862-6713, Mon - Fri: 8:00am - 5:00pm
In crisis? Call our crisis and referral line (877) 886-7026 for immediate assistance, mental health assessment and referral. Or go directly to the emergency room at any of our LewisGale Hospitals.
Learn more about emotional, behavioral and mental health and related conditions in our online Health Library.