Advanced Shoulder Replacement Options in Southwest Virginia
Shoulder replacement surgery can help you live better with less pain. Whether you have a previous shoulder replacement or damage from a torn rotator cuff, LewisGale Regional Health System has surgery options for almost everyone.
Our orthopedic surgeons are recognized for outstanding outcomes, including the lowest infection rates in Virginia, and hospital stay and readmission rates below national averages. We’re here for you, providing expertise and care that’s coordinated and comprehensive.
We offer shoulder replacement surgery at the following locations:
Shoulder Replacement — Expanding Range of Motion
Shoulder replacement surgery, or shoulder arthroplasty, relieves pain from severe arthritis or injury and restores range of motion. It involves implanting part or all of a prosthetic (or artificial) ball and socket device made from metal and plastic.
We offer patients, even those with failed shoulder fracture surgery or rotator cuff tears, options for pain relief and improved function.
Candidates for Shoulder Replacement Surgery
Schedule an appointment with one of our joint experts if you:
- Experience shoulder pain or stiffness that interferes with your daily life
- Have pain that wakes you up from sleeping
- Are unable to move your arms above your head or have limited range of motion
- Have tried nonsurgical treatments such as medicines, physical therapy, and injections, without success
Types of Shoulder Replacement Surgery We Offer
Types of shoulder replacement surgery we offer include:
- Total shoulder replacement: Where the ball of the arm bone and shoulder blade socket are replaced with prosthetics. The procedure involves removing the damaged cartilage and bone and implanting the device.
- Partial shoulder replacement: Only the ball part of the joint is replaced. Partial shoulder replacement can be an option when the shoulder socket is still in good condition. It’s also called hemiarthroplasty.
- Reverse shoulder replacement: When the ball and socket are placed in reverse, or opposite position. This is performed when rotator cuff tendons are damaged or certain fractures make a total shoulder replacement impossible.
- Shoulder replacement revision: Repairs issues or unresolved pain from a previous shoulder replacement surgery.
Advanced Shoulder Replacement Expertise at LewisGale
Using a team-based, personalized approach to care, we help you return to the lifestyle you deserve, without pain. Patients choose LewisGale for:
- Surgical outcomes among the best. Our orthopedic surgery team has the lowest infection rates in Virginia, as well as length-of-stay and hospital readmission rates below national averages.
- Recognized surgical care. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services also rank our hospitals in the top 10% of hospitals nationwide for improvements in surgical care (LewisGale Hospital Alleghany, LewisGale Hospital Montgomery, and LewisGale Hospital Pulaski).
- Comprehensive preoperative education. To help ease anxiety before surgery, we offer a comprehensive Joint Replacement Class including an inside look at our facility and what to expect before, during, and after joint replacement surgery.
- Care throughout the journey. We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery. We provide inpatient and outpatient physical therapy rehabilitation and pain management programs all in one system.
- Fellowship trained, board-certified orthopedic specialists. Your care comes from board-certified doctors and orthopedic surgeons. Many of our doctors are also fellowship trained in their field.
The shoulder joint, also known as the glenohumeral joint, is a ball and socket joint that is capable of a wider range of motion than any other joint in the body. The rounded, ball-shaped head of the humerus seats in the socket-shaped glenoid fossa of the scapula.