You know that being active is good for you. But sometimes you need help to stay in the game. Whether you’re an athlete, a parent or a coach, LewisGale orthopedic and sports medicine is here to keep you moving with expert advice, assessment, health and fitness training, treatment, rehab and prevention services.
Your Partner in Sports Medicine
When you rely on the sports medicine experts at LewisGale, you have access to:
- An advanced, all-inclusive approach that includes prevention, assessment, treatment and rehabilitation
- Leading specialists in orthopedic care
- Experience based on our long-term partnerships with Virginia Tech, Radford University and other area colleges
- Onsite practice and game staffing, first aid and rehabilitation services
- Educational resources for athletes and coaches
- A free Saturday morning injury-prevention clinic for fall sports teams, athletic directors and recreation directors
Learn to Recognize & React to Sports Concussion Injuries
Our sports medicine professionals are committed to assisting athletes, parents and coaches in understanding and reacting to sports-related head injuries. We draw on expertise from specialized doctors in different fields—including primary care sports medicine experts and neurologists—to assist in an athlete’s full recovery.
- A concussion is a brain injury caused by trauma to the head
- All concussions are serious
- Concussions can occur without loss of consciousness
- Recognition and proper management of concussions when they first occur can help prevent further injury or even death
The following signs and symptoms may indicate that a concussion has occurred.
Coaches observe that the athlete:
- Appears dazed or stunned
- Is confused about assignment
- Forgets plays
- Is unsure of game, score or opponents
- Moves clumsily
- Answers questions slowly
- Loses consciousness
- Shows behavior or personality changes
- Can’t recall events prior to or after hit
Symptoms reported by athlete:
- Balance problems or dizziness
- Double or fuzzy vision
- Sensitivity to light or noise
- Feeling sluggish
- Feeling foggy or groggy
- Concentration or memory problems
If you suspect a player has experienced a concussion, take the following steps:
- Remove the athlete from play
- Ensure the athlete is evaluated by an appropriate healthcare professional; do not try to judge the seriousness of the injury yourself
- Inform the athlete’s parents or guardians about the known or possible concussion
- Allow the athlete to return to play only with permission from an appropriate healthcare professional
Learn more about concussions at our online Health Library.
Experts in Sports Medicine
You’ll find our experienced and highly credentialed experts working with teams and athletes on the sidelines, throughout Southwest Virginia. Their common goal? Making sure every athlete reaches and maintains his or her potential.
Our experts will work with you to create and follow a customized, physician-led treatment program designed to help you progress as quickly as possible from surgery or initial injury care to the rehab and training room and back to your chosen field of play—in better shape than ever.
A Team of Specialists
Our sport medicine staff includes:
- Orthopedic surgeons — Our highly-skilled orthopedic surgeons provide specialized sports medicine care, whether you’re professional athlete or a weekend warrior, to get you back in the game.
- Licensed physical therapists — Our highly experienced, graduate-level physical therapy professionals perform thorough evaluations, develop an individualized plan of treatment for each athlete and provide continuing one-on-one care designed to decrease pain, build fitness and restore full function.
- Certified athletic trainers — These health care professionals specialize in preventing, recognizing, managing and rehabilitating injuries that result from physical activities
- Depending on your plan of care, other team members may include licensed physical therapy assistants.
Resources for Athletes & Teams
- Learn more about prevention and treatment of sports injuries.
- Meet our sports medicine experts.
- Find out more about LewisGale orthopedic services.
- Download a high school athletic participation medical release form.
"I went from limping along to leading the team’s charge."
Frank Beamer, Head Football Coach, Virginia Tech
Knee replacement patient, LewisGale Hospital Montgomery