Breast cancer care in southwest Virginia
A breast cancer diagnosis is an emotional and difficult journey. Patients who choose LewisGale Regional Health System find much-needed comfort and hope knowing they’re being treated close to home by some of the nation’s best cancer specialists.
To learn more about our breast cancer services, please call askSARAH at (540) 795-6161.
Your care is our priority. With leading-edge technology, our breast cancer care team offers the most effective and customized screening, diagnosis and treatment.Find locations for this service on our Oncology page
Breast cancer screening and diagnosis
Breast cancer affects one in eight women, but annual mammogram screenings help with early detection. To deliver the most accurate results possible, LewisGale Regional Health System offers advanced breast health services, including:
- Genetic testing and counseling
- 2D and 3D mammography
- Breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Breast-specific gamma imaging
- Breast ultrasound
- Breast biopsy
- Stereotactic biopsy
Breast cancer treatment
LewisGale Regional Health System offers a comprehensive cancer care program. Our breast cancer treatment team includes breast surgeons, medical and radiation oncologists, nutritionists, a genetic counselor, a nurse navigator and other clinical support staff. Working together, these specialists create individualized treatment plans ensuring patients receive quality care that is right for you.
Your breast cancer treatment plan may include:
- Radiation therapy, available at LewisGale Pulaski and LewisGale Salem
- Hormonal therapies
- Conservation surgery (an operation that removes the tumor while sparing surrounding healthy breast tissue)
- Sentinel node biopsy (a procedure that determines if the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes)
- Skin-sparing mastectomy (an operation that spares most of the skin over the breast allowing for less scarring and more natural reconstruction)
- Reconstructive surgery (surgery to recreate the look and shape of the breast)
About Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
As part of Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare, our family of hospitals provides comprehensive cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people facing cancer in our communities. From diagnosis to treatment and survivorship care, our oncology expertise ensures you have access to locally trusted care with the support of a globally recognized network.
Have cancer questions? We can help. askSARAH is a dedicated helpline for your cancer-related questions. Our specially trained nurses are available 24/7, and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (540) 795-6161 or chat online at askSARAHnow.com.