Cardiovascular rehabilitation in southwest Virginia
Cardiac rehabilitation may be recommended to help patients recover from a heart event, heart surgery or to manage a cardiac condition, like congestive heart failure. The goal of cardiac rehabilitation is to return patients to a healthy lifestyle.
To learn more about the cardiac rehab programs at LewisGale Regional Health System, call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (877) 242-2362.
The comprehensive cardiac rehabilitation program and dedicated heart doctors at LewisGale Regional Health System support you and your family every step of the way as you make important lifestyle adjustments following a cardiac event or diagnosis.
Comprehensive cardiac rehab services
LewisGale Regional Health System offers inpatient, outpatient and maintenance options for cardiac rehabilitation. Our options are tailored to your specific needs, and our cardiac rehab programs are conveniently located across southwest Virginia.
People choose LewisGale Regional Health System for cardiac rehab for:
- Personalized exercise plans
- Access to certified exercise physiologists, certified exercise specialists, registered nurses, dietitians and other healthcare professionals as needed
- Educational programs to help you understand your condition and how to avoid future heart problems
- Individual and group counseling to help you tackle tough problems, such as obesity, smoking, hypertension and diabetes
- emWave® Stress Relief System with HeartMath—new healthcare tools that teach self-regulation techniques for stress reduction and emotional management to help you break the cycle of stress in your life
- Heart-healthy nutrition classes and one-on-one counseling with our registered dietitians
Benefits of cardiac therapy
When patients participate in our cardiac rehabilitation programs, you learn to:
- Recognize symptoms of heart disease and when to seek medical attention
- Begin a personalized exercise program designed to fit your needs
- Work toward your ideal body weight and cholesterol level through physical activity and good nutrition
- Return to your regular work and leisure activities
- Reduce your risk factors and chances of a future heart attack
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle with the help of your cardiac rehabilitation team
Cardiac support groups
Our cardiac support groups bring together people facing similar challenges—life after a heart attack, the need to make healthy lifestyle adjustments, living with heart failure and more. Learn from others’ experiences and share your own.
Call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (877) 242-2362 to find a cardiac support group that is right for you.
Cardiac rehabilitation admissions and referrals
If you have heart disease or risk factors for heart disease, your doctor may prescribe your participation in our supervised exercise program. In this 24-session, eight-week, minimal cost per visit program, you’ll receive personalized education on heart disease and risk factors so you can continue to create and maintain a healthy life. LewisGale Regional Health System also offers physical therapy and rehabilitation to strengthen and restore muscle and motor functions related to a number of conditions, including cardiovascular events or conditions.
A physician referral is required for rehab services. Ask your doctor when you can begin. You may be required to take a treadmill stress test as a baseline for creating the exercise program that will be most effective for you.
Many insurance carriers cover the costs of our monitored cardiac rehab services. You may be responsible for a copayment. Questions regarding reimbursement should be referred to your insurance carrier.