Orthopedic foot and ankle care in southwest Virginia
Although few people are born with foot problems, approximately 75 percent of Americans will experience foot pain at some point in their lives. Neglect, improper care or ill-fitting shoes are common causes. Foot and ankle disorders may also result from injuries, excess weight or diseases such as diabetes.
When foot and ankle problems cause pain or limit your mobility, our specialists at LewisGale Regional Health System have the advanced tools, technology and experience to diagnose and treat your condition to bring relief and get you moving again.
To learn more about our foot and ankle services at LewisGale Regional Health System, call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (877) 242-2362.
What is podiatry?
Podiatry is an area of medicine dedicated to the care of the foot, ankle and lower extremities. Doctors of Podiatric Medicine (DPMs) strive to improve patients’ overall health by preventing, diagnosing and treating conditions associated with the foot and ankle.Find locations for this service on our Orthopedic care page
Foot and ankle conditions we treat
We diagnose and treat disorders affecting the feet and ankles, including:
- Corns and calluses
- Ingrown toenails
- Nail bed injuries
- Hammer toes
- Ganglion cysts
- Morton's neuroma
- Stress fractures
- Ligament injuries
- Plantar fasciitis
- Heel spurs
- Achilles tendon disorders
- Ankle sprains
- Flat foot
- Abnormally high arches
- Club foot deformities
- Tarsal tunnel syndrome
Treatments options for foot and ankle conditions
LewisGale Regional Health System’s foot and ankle specialists use the most effective approaches possible to help you live pain-free. Our noninvasive treatment options include:
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation—Improves function and strength with physical and occupational therapists experienced in rehabilitating foot and ankle conditions.
- Bracing, orthotics and other devices—Stabilizes and supports the ankle and foot to reduce pain.
- Injected medicines—Reduces pain and swelling using corticosteroids and anti-inflammatory medicines.
Foot and ankle surgery
We offer a range of surgical options to resolve your foot or ankle pain, including:
- Arthroscopy (ankle joint)—Insert a tube with a tiny camera and a light into the joint to view inside allowing surgeons to diagnose and repair a variety of conditions affecting the ligaments, bones, cartilage or tendons.
- Bunionectomy—Bunion removal.
- Fusion surgery—Attach two bones, such as ankle fusion or transfibular, midfoot and subtalar fusion, to improve stability.
- Ligament and tendon repair and reconstruction—Repair sprains and strains in the ankle and foot.
- Open reduction and fixation—Realign and hold a broken bone in place using internal fixtures, such as rods or wires.
Complete care for the feet and ankles
At LewisGale Regional Health System, we work together to provide the very best orthopedic care. Patients choose us time and time again for:
- Fellowship-trained, board-certified specialists—Your care comes from board-certified doctors, podiatrists and surgeons. Most of our doctors are also fellowship-trained in their field.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery—In addition to advanced diagnostics, our hospitals also offer pain management programs and inpatient and outpatient physical therapy rehabilitation, all under one roof.
- Compassionate care throughout the journey—We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Care in a full-service hospital—If you need surgery, it’s at a hospital with all the services and amenities you need for a comfortable recovery.