High-risk pregnancy doctors in southwest Virginia
Whether you're carrying multiples or have developed gestational diabetes, you'll find care and support at LewisGale Regional Health System. You can take comfort in knowing expert care is available right here in Virginia's New River Valley. Our OB/GYNs partner with some of southwest Virginia's leading perinatologists (also known as maternal-fetal medicine doctors) to provide exceptional high-risk pregnancy care.
For more information about our high-risk pregnancy services, please call Consult-A-Nurse® at (877) 242-2362.
High-risk pregnancy conditions we treat
If a condition gives you or your baby a greater-than-normal chance of complications, your pregnancy is deemed high risk. These complications could occur during pregnancy, during labor and delivery or after giving birth.
At LewisGale Hospital Montgomery, we provide maternal-fetal care for many conditions and situations, including:
- Carrying twins, triplets or multiples
- Pre-existing medical conditions including high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, asthma, heart disease, epilepsy, lupus and HIV
- Medical problems that develop during pregnancy, including gestational diabetes, preeclampsia and preterm labor
- History of miscarriage or other pregnancy complications
- Substance use during pregnancy
- Placenta problems, including placenta previa, placenta accreta or placental abruption
- Fetal growth or development problems
- Personal or family history of genetic conditions
- Personal or family history of birth abnormalities
Comprehensive perinatology services
Our team helps diagnose and treat conditions that affect you, your partner or your unborn baby. We offer:
- Preconception counseling: This service is available to individuals or couples who have concerns about having a healthy pregnancy or baby. We can counsel you on risk factors such as advanced age, pre-existing medical conditions and a family history of genetic conditions.
- Genetic testing and counseling: If you have genetic testing, we'll thoroughly explain your results and any possible risks there may be to your unborn baby. We'll also explain the benefits and risks of prenatal screening tests.
- Fetal diagnostic procedures: We offer prenatal care to closely monitor your baby's growth and development throughout your pregnancy using the latest ultrasound imaging procedures.
- Hospital antepartum care: If you need to be hospitalized during your pregnancy, you'll stay in one of our antepartum rooms. We'll do everything we can to make your stay as comfortable as possible, for as long as we need to monitor your health and baby.
- Delivery planning: Your doctor will work closely with our birth center team and Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit to help sure a smooth, safe delivery—and to prepare for any additional medical care you or your baby may need immediately after birth.