Hip replacement surgery in southwest Virginia
The orthopedic teams across LewisGale Regional Health System are recognized as experts in hip replacement. LewisGale Medical Center and LewisGale Hospital Montgomery have earned The Gold Seal of Approval® by The Joint Commission in hip replacement surgery.Find locations for this service on our Orthopedic care page
To learn more about hip replacement options at LewisGale Regional Health System call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (877) 242-2362.
Our designations represent our commitment to quality outcomes for our patients. We go above and beyond the stringent national standards on patient care and safety. We’re here for you throughout your hip replacement journey—from diagnosis to recovery and beyond—providing education and support every step of the way.
The hip joint is a ball-and-socket joint between the femur and the acetabulum of the pelvis, or hip bone. The acetabulum forms a deep socket and accommodates the rounded head of the femur. Fractures, impingement and many other types of hip damage can be treated with surgery.
Hip replacement surgery, or hip arthroplasty, relieves hip pain caused by injury from fractures and conditions like avascular necrosis or severe arthritis. The result is better stability, mobility and function and less pain.
Quality hip replacement care at LewisGale
The hip replacement program at LewisGale Regional Health System is team-based, meaning we pull together specialists from throughout our orthopedic care program, depending on what our patients need. Patients choose our facilities for:
- Programs certified by The Joint Commission.
Our total hip replacement programs are recognized for high-quality care and superior outcomes by the nation’s leading authority on quality and continuous improvement in healthcare.
- Excellent hip and knee replacement outcomes.
We are also designated as a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement by Anthem® Blue Cross® and Blue Shield® for superior outcomes and cost-effectiveness.
- Recognized surgical care.
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services also rank our hospitals in the top 10 percent of hospitals nationwide for improvements in surgical care.
- Comprehensive preoperative education.
To help ease anxiety before surgery, we offer a preoperative joint class, which includes an inside look at our facility and what to expect before, during and after hip replacement surgery.
- Care throughout the journey.
We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery.
We offer inpatient and outpatient physical therapy and rehabilitation and pain management programs all in one system.
- Fellowship-trained, board-certified orthopedic specialists.
Your care comes from board-certified orthopedic surgeons. Most of our doctors are also fellowship trained in their field.
Hip replacement procedures we offer
We offer multiple types of hip replacement options, so we can tailor the surgery you receive to your specific condition. We perform:
- Total hip replacement surgery—Surgeons replace the ball of the thigh bone and socket of the pelvis bone with prosthetic (or artificial) pieces made from metal, ceramic and/or plastic. The procedure involves removing the damaged cartilage and bone and implanting the prosthetic joint.
- Direct anterior hip replacement surgery—The direct anterior (front) hip replacement is minimally invasive and requires smaller incisions with less trauma to tendons and muscles. This means a faster recovery and less pain than traditional approaches.
Are you a candidate for hip replacement surgery?
Schedule an appointment with one of our joint experts if you:
- Experience hip pain or stiffness after sitting for a long time
- Have pain, swelling or tenderness in the hip joint
- Hear or feel “crunching” in the hip joint
- Have tried other treatments, such as medicines and physical therapy, without success