Knee replacement experts in southwest Virginia
The orthopedic surgeons at LewisGale Regional Health System are recognized experts in joint replacement surgery. In fact, three of our four hospitals—LewisGale Medical Center, LewisGale Hospital Montgomery and LewisGale Hospital Pulaski—earned The Gold Seal of Approval® by The Joint Commission for knee replacement surgery.Find locations for this service on our Orthopedic care page
This recognition signifies our dedication to providing quality care to our patients. We are proud to exceed the stringent national standards invoked for patient care and safety.
To learn more about knee replacement services offered at LewisGale Regional Health System, please call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (877) 242-2362.
The knee is a specialized hinge joint between the femur (thigh bone) and tibia (shin bone). The patella (knee cap) plays a key role in the pulley mechanism that extends the knee joint. When fractures and tears occur to the knee, surgery is sometimes recommended.
Knee replacement surgery, also called knee arthroplasty, relieves pain and restores joint function. It involves resurfacing or capping the ends of the bones damaged by arthritis or injury with a prosthetic (or artificial) implant made from metal and plastic.
We use the latest minimally invasive techniques with customized implant solutions for a better fit, faster recovery and enhanced function.
Nationally recognized knee replacement program close to home
LewisGale Regional Health System offers a team-based knee replacement program, which means we bring orthopedic care experts together from all over our health system depending on the individualized needs of our patients. Patients across southwest Virginia choose our care for:
- Programs certified by The Joint Commission—Our total knee replacement program is recognized for high-quality care and superior outcomes by the nation’s leading authority on quality and continuous improvement in healthcare.
- Excellent hip and knee replacement outcomes—We are also designated as a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement by Anthem® Blue Cross® and Blue Shield® for superior outcomes and cost-effectiveness.
- Recognized surgical care—The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services also rank our hospitals in the top 10 percent of hospitals nationwide for improvements in surgical care.
- Comprehensive preoperative education—To help ease anxiety before surgery, we offer a preoperative joint class, which includes an inside look at our facility and what to expect before, during and after knee replacement surgery.
- Care throughout the journey—We’re here every step of the way—from diagnosis all the way through recovery and rehabilitation—with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery—We offer inpatient and outpatient physical therapy and rehabilitation services and pain management programs all in one system.
- Fellowship-trained, board-certified orthopedic specialists—Your care comes from board-certified doctors and orthopedic surgeons. Most of our doctors are also fellowship trained in their field.
Types of knee replacement surgery
Within LewisGale Regional Health System, we offer the following options for knee replacement surgery:
- Total knee replacement surgery—This involves resurfacing damaged portions of all three bones (thigh, shin and kneecap) that form the knee joint with metal and plastic implants. Implants vary depending on your weight, size and activity level.
- Partial knee replacement surgery—When damage is limited to a portion of the knee (inside, outside or front), we may be able to spare healthy tissue and bone in a less invasive procedure. Partial knee replacement is also referred to as knee resurfacing.