Orthopedic doctors in southwest Virginia
Joint, bone, muscle and spine conditions can cause pain and limit what you do. Let southwest Virginia’s orthopedic and spine experts at LewisGale Regional Health System get you back to doing what you love—quickly and safely.
To learn more about the orthopedic services offered through LewisGale Regional Health System, contact Consult-A-Nurse® at (877) 242-2362.
Our teams are recognized for excellence in orthopedic care and spine surgery. With four hospital locations in Roanoke Valley, Salem, Alleghany Highlands, Pulaski and New River Valley you can count on LewisGale Regional Health System for all your orthopedic and spine needs, close to home.
Advanced orthopedics close to home
Whether your orthopedic needs are simple or complex, we develop a treatment plan that will restore your quality of life. Patients choose LewisGale Regional Health System for:
- Programs certified by The Joint Commission. The total hip and knee replacement programs at LewisGale Medical Center and LewisGale Hospital Montgomery and total knee replacement program at LewisGale Hospital Pulaski are approved by the nation’s leading authority on quality care, outcomes and continuous improvement.
- Recognition for surgical excellence and quality. Healthgrades™ named LewisGale Medical Center one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals™ for spine surgery. We are recognized by Blue Cross/Blue Shield for orthopedic care and spine surgery expertise and attention to our patients.
- Excellent surgery outcomes. Our orthopedic surgery team has the lowest infection rates in Virginia, as well as length-of-stay and hospital readmission rates below national averages.
- Comprehensive care you deserve, all in one system. We have the latest imaging tools and tests available to evaluate and diagnose orthopedic conditions at the earliest stages. We offer both inpatient and outpatient orthopedic rehabilitation services and pain management. This means you can get diagnostics, treatment and therapy in one network, from one team.
- Compassionate team committed to your health. You benefit from a team of doctors, surgeons, nurses, physical therapists, care coordinators and other specialists and professionals dedicated to helping you get better, faster.
- Fellowship-trained, board-certified specialists. Your care comes from board-certified doctors, specially trained in orthopedics, orthopedic surgery, sports medicine and neurosurgery. Most of our doctors are also fellowship trained in their field.
- Focus on continuous improvement for osteoporosis patients. LewisGale Regional Health System participates in a national quality improvement program called Own the Bone®. This ensures our patients with fragility fractures are screened and appropriately treated for low bone density or osteoporosis, helping to reduce the risk for future fractures.
Back and spine care
Our spine care specialists provide treatment for conditions caused by injury, disease or wear and tear. Our expert services range from physical therapy to spine surgery.
Foot and ankle care
Foot and ankle injuries can greatly impact your mobility and quality of life. Our foot and ankle specialists use advanced technology to diagnose and treat conditions from bursitis to stress fractures.
Hand and upper extremity care
We offer specialized treatment for hand and upper extremity injuries and conditions. Our orthopedic doctors are skilled in treating the hand, elbow, arm and shoulder.
We provide a full scope of joint care services, including joint replacement surgery and arthritis treatment. We offer joint replacement therapy for the knee, shoulder and hip.
Orthopedic surgery and noninvasive treatments
You can trust our team to provide an innovative combination of nonsurgical approaches that fit your lifestyle goals. We offer therapy, medication and noninvasive interventional pain procedures to get you back on your feet, sooner.
If surgery is necessary, we provide the latest technology and techniques including minimally invasive procedures that offer less pain and a shorter recovery. Our surgical and nonsurgical treatments include:
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), lateral collateral ligament (LCL), posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) repairs
- Arthroscopic surgery
- Casting and splinting
- Cartilage and meniscus repair
- Digital biplane angiography (3DBRA)
- Hip replacement
- Hip resurfacing
- Interventional spine procedures
- Joint injections
- Knee replacement
- Lumbar disc replacement
- Minimally invasive spine surgery, including direct lateral interbody fusion (DLIF)
- Shoulder replacement
- Rotator cuff repair
- Spinal fusion
- Sports medicine programs
Own the Bone® program
LewisGale Regional Health System has implemented the American Orthopaedic Association’s Own the Bone® program. The program is aimed to better identify, evaluate and treat patients that suffer from an osteoporosis or low bone density-related fragility fracture—a broken bone that results from a fall from standing height or less. The program brings focus to the severe health implications of fragility fractures and the multi-faceted approach hospitals or clinics can employ to ensure patients receive the most comprehensive care.
According to the National Committee for Quality Assurance, only one in five Medicare patients has received the osteoporosis care needed after a fracture. Own the Bone® is a national quality improvement program that incorporates 10 measures for reducing future fractures and provides LewisGale Regional Health System with immediate feedback on performance to measure success and help benchmark our facilities with other facilities.
With Own the Bone®, LewisGale Regional Health System reduces this treatment gap and ensures that our patients with fragility fractures are screened and appropriately treated for low bone density or osteoporosis.
Learn more about bone density screening at a LewisGale Regional Health System facility.