Southwest Virginia's experts in sports medicine
If you’ve experienced a sport- or exercise-related injury in southwest Virginia, let LewisGale Regional Health System get you back to the activities you love. We offer advanced technology, expert advice, injury prevention and assessment, health and fitness training, injury treatment and rehabilitation for all ages and skill levels.
For more information about sports medicine services at LewisGale Regional Health System, please call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (877) 242-2362.
Our expert team of sports medicine specialists, orthopedic surgeons, neurologists, physical therapists and other sports training experts work together to get you back in shape, better than ever.
Sports injuries and conditions we treat
From injury prevention to cutting-edge treatments, LewisGale Regional Health System evaluates, treats and rehabilitates a range of conditions resulting from sports injuries. Common sports-related pain and injuries we treat include:
- Ankle and foot pain and injuries
- Ankle sprains
- High ankle sprains
- Achilles tendon injuries
- Stress fractures
- Ligament inflammation (plantar fasciitis)
- Back pain and injuries
- Muscle strain
- Ligament sprain
- Disc disorders
- Traumatic impact to the head causing dizziness, drowsiness, blurry vision and other symptoms
- Elbow pain and injuries
- Ligament tears as in tennis or golf elbow
- Tendon ruptures
- Hip pain and injuries
- Hip pointer or contusion
- Hip flexor strain
- Labral tears of cartilage
- Quadriceps strains
- Knee pain and injuries
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) tears
- Meniscus tears
- Jumper’s knee (patellar tendonitis)
- Patellofemoral syndrome
- Shoulder pain and injuries
- Labral tears of cartilage
- Rotator cuff tears
- Biceps injuries
- Nerve impingement
- Wrist and hand pain and injuries
- Ligament tears
- Nerve injuries
- Stress fractures
Sports medicine treatments and services
At LewisGale Regional Health System, we offer nonsurgical, surgical and rehabilitative options designed to return you to your full ability and reduce the risk for re-injury. If you need surgery, we take a minimally invasive approach whenever possible, which means smaller incisions, faster healing and less pain.
Our nonsurgical sports-related injury treatments and services include:
- Sports-injury physical therapy and rehabilitation—This is often suggested as the first line of treatment or after surgery to restore strength, movement and endurance. We help you manage pain and prevent further damage or injury with inpatient and outpatient programs.
- Pain management therapies—This includes injections, selective nerve root blocks, platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and nerve stimulation techniques.
- Specialized sports and injury prevention for specific athletes—We offer customized programs to help active people of all skill levels use proper techniques to avoid injuries. This includes programs designed for runners, golfers, cyclists, women athletes and people 50 years old and older.
- Concussion management—Our experienced doctors recognize the symptoms of concussions and the extent of brain injury. We offer neurological evaluation and clearance to return to activity safely.
- Sports physicals—We offer medical evaluations to ensure your student-athlete is healthy and ready for safe play.
Common sports-related surgeries we offer:
- Arthroscopy—This allows surgeons to diagnose your condition and perform a variety of procedures on ligaments, bones, cartilage or tendons.
- Cartilage reconstruction—This is when a surgeon repairs or replaces cartilage loss or damage in the knees using innovative techniques.
- Elbow tendon repair—This is when the distal bicep tendon is reattached to the lower arm bone.
- Knee ligament repair and reconstruction—This procedure is used to repair the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), posterior cruciate ligament (PCL), medial collateral ligament (MCL) and the lateral collateral ligament (LCL).
- Joint replacement—This is when a surgeon replaces joint surfaces with artificial implants, such as shoulder, knee, and hip replacements.
- Meniscus surgery—This is when torn cartilage in the knee is trimmed or removed.
- Rotator cuff shoulder repair—In a complete tear, the surgeon reattaches the tendon to the upper arm bone. In a partial tear, the surgeon trims and smooths the tendon and bone.
- Tommy John surgery—This is when a surgeon replaces an injured ulnar collateral ligament in the elbow with a tendon taken from another part of the body.
Programs for sports teams and coaches
LewisGale Regional Health System’s sports medicine group offers customized, team-based programs for all ages and sports, including recreational and professional-level athletic teams. If you’re a coach or athletic director, we can keep your team healthy and strong. Contact us for:
- Team sports physicals
- Education and a free pre-season injury prevention clinic for teams, athletic directors and recreational directors
- Certified athletic training, including on-site practices, game staffing, first aid and physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Team sports performance enhancement programs
- Concussion management and medical release
Team approach to sports medicine care
You don’t have to be a professional athlete to be treated like one. The LewisGale Regional Health System sports medicine program is chosen for:
- Combined expertise of medical teams working for you. You benefit from shared clinical expertise of board-certified sports medicine physicians, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons, neurologists, graduate-level licensed physical therapists, certified athletic trainers and sports performance specialists.
- Long-term community partnerships. We partner and support numerous schools, including Virginia Tech, Radford University and other area colleges.
- Compassionate care throughout the journey. We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Care in a full-service hospital. If you need surgery, it’s at a hospital with all the services and amenities you need for a comfortable recovery.
- Convenient locations throughout southwest Virginia. We offer care and a detailed assessment at convenient locations in Roanoke Valley/Salem, Alleghany Highlands, Rockbridge County and the New River Valleys.