Primary care physicians in southwest Virginia
With 140 primary care physicians/providers affiliated with LewisGale Regional Health System practicing in dozens of convenient locations, you’re sure to find one that’s right for you. We’re in your neighborhood and we care about your health.
We even offer same-day appointments, walk-in clinics, extended hours and urgent care for those times when your health situation needs immediate attention.
For assistance in finding a primary care physician, call Consult-A-Nurse® at (877) 242-2362.
Primary care services
LewisGale Regional Health System proudly partners with the best primary care physicians in southwest Virginia. At every location, you’ll benefit from excellent care tailored to your specific needs.
From annual physicals to caring for you when you’re ill, our primary care providers offer a wide range of preventive and medical care services, including:
- Medical care for all ages, from newborn care to senior health
- Annual physicals and examinations, including school and sports physicals
- Immunizations (shots)
- Chronic condition management
- Nutritional counseling
- Mental health services and referrals
- Elder hearing and vision care
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s care
- Weight management
Choosing a primary care doctor
Finding a primary care provider is a big decision. You want an expert you can trust to care for you and your family today, tomorrow and through all stages of life.
When you select a LewisGale Regional Health System primary care physician, you benefit from our extensive network of services and experts whenever you need more specialized care.
When making a decision about a primary care provider, ask yourself:
- Is the office in a convenient location for me? Do the hours work with my schedule?
- How easy is it to reach the provider? Is the staff friendly?
- Can I make an appointment right away, or do I have to wait for an opening or a callback?
- Does the provider focus on my needs?
- Does the provider refer to specialists for more focused care?
- Does the provider invite me to be involved with my care?
Types of primary care providers
Primary care physicians may be either medical doctors (MDs) or doctors of osteopathic medicine (DOs). Both types undergo rigorous training in human anatomy and are licensed to diagnose, treat, correct, advise and prescribe for any human disease or condition. Osteopathic physicians receive an additional 300 to 500 hours in the study of hands-on manual medicine and the body’s musculoskeletal system.
Nurse practitioners and physician assistants, who practice under the supervision of a physician, can also serve as your primary care provider.
Primary care providers offer different types of services and areas of specialization. Your stage of life and your medical needs will help you determine where to start. Types of primary care providers include:
- Pediatricians—These doctors focus on treating newborns, infants, children and adolescents 18 years old and younger. Our affiliated pediatricians offer:
- Routine infant care
- Early child development consultations
- Chronic conditions management
- School and sports physicals
- Walk-in clinics (at select sites)
- Internists/internal medicine—These doctors treat adults, including seniors. Internal medicine practitioners at LewisGale Regional Health System offers:
- Family practice—These doctors treat patients of all ages—newborns to seniors; your whole family can see the same doctor if you choose a family practice physician.
- Obstetricians/gynecologists (OB/GYNs)—These doctors treat women of all ages, particularly women of childbearing age. OB/GYNs at LewisGale Regional Health System offers:
- Nurse practitioners and physician assistants—These are healthcare professionals who practice under the supervision of a physician