Fully accredited by The Joint Commission, an independent national healthcare certification organization, LewisGale Hospital Montgomery opened with 12 beds in 1910 as Altamont Hospital in Cambria, Virginia. Prompted by growth, founder Dr. A.M. Showalter led an expansion to 20 beds in 1923.
In 1967, the hospital was renamed the A.M. Showalter Memorial Hospital and reorganized from private ownership into a community hospital under the direction of a Board of Trustees. Two years later, following the efforts of hospital administrator James Sublett, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) provided financing for construction of a replacement facility at our present location on Route 460 at the southern edge of Blacksburg, Virginia.
Since our new facility opened in 1971, we’ve undergone several name changes and renovations while maintaining our commitment to meeting the growing healthcare needs of the community.
- 1986 – Name change to Montgomery Regional Hospital reflected increased range of services offered and communities served
- 1987 – Facility ownership transferred to HealthTrust
- 1995 – HealthTrust merged with Columbia/HCA; facility name changed to Columbia Montgomery Regional Hospital
- 1998 – Name returns to Montgomery Regional Hospital
- 2010 – Name change to LewisGale Hospital Montgomery as part of HCA’s LewisGale Regional Health System
LewisGale Hospital Montgomery is a 146-bed, general acute-care facility delivering comprehensive healthcare—including a wide range of medical, surgical, obstetric, pediatric, orthopedic, emergency and outpatient services—to residents of Southwest Virginia and the New River Valley.
In partnership with the three other hospitals of LewisGale Regional Health System, LewisGale Hospital Montgomery provides you with benefits from the financial, technical and professional resources of HCA, our parent company and the nation’s largest non-government hospital organization. At the same time, we offer the best features typically found at smaller hospitals where patients receive personalized treatment and high-quality, compassionate care.